A pure maintenance release of the random package for truly (hardware-based) random numbers as provided by random.org is now on CRAN. As requested by CRAN, we made running tests optional. Not running tests is clearly one way of not getting (spurious, networking-related) failures ...
Brian Ripley had pointed out to us that some of the curl implementations (which must now be used as https is mandatory at random.org) did not follow redirects. Which was bad luck, given that I had used a shortform https://random.org as opposed to the fuller-length https://wwwrandom.org variant providing the service. This has been rectified, and we used the opportunity to also update the
NAMESPACE file as
R CMD check --as-cran now mandates more explicit imports.
The R 3.2.0 release brought the change to use an internal
method="libcurl" which we are using if available; else the
curl::curl() method added in release 0.2.3 is used. We are also a little more explicit about closing connections, and added really basic regression tests -- as it is hard to test hardware-based RNGs draws.
The main change is a switch to the
curl() function from the eponymous package by Jeroen Ooms. This was caused by random.org now using https instead of http, annd the fact that te
url() function from R does not cope well with the redirect. Besides this (enforced) change, everything else remains the same.
vignettes/Courtesy of CRANberries, there is also a diffstat report for the most recent release. Current and previous releases are available here as well as on CRAN.