Known misfeatures in the current release 0.7.9.2
- Kdesktop in kernel 2.4 / 2.6
- Depending on how Quantian is booted or started, either just the 2.4 or
both 2.4 and 2.6 come up with kdesktop showing a segmentation fault, and the
KDE desktop not being fully loaded. The easiest fix is start konsole (by
clicking on the terminal icon in the panel at the bottom of the screen) and
to manually type
kdesktop followed by return. This manual
invocation works, and the KDE system then comes up normally. I am puzzled by
what causes it, and do not see it under VMware with kernel 2.6, or on my test
laptop. It is however present on the dvd when the iso is burned.
Would be nice
- TeXmacs fonts
- It would be nice to not have to compute as many TeXmacs
fonts on the fly. Tried to accomodate that by installing fonts from an .rpm
from the site, not quite sure if that really helped. Ralf says he has added a
fonts package for Debian, but will not upload it.
Done in previous releases
- Boot prompt
- You must enter
knoppix lang=us at the
dvd prompt for the newer kernel (and
linux26 is equivalvent);
simply hitting return hangs the boot process. For the openMosix-enabled
2.4.27 kernel, type
linux24. We need to fix this in the
isolinux.cfg file. Now fixed in 0.7.9.2.
- Kdvi broken
- Kdvi doesn't display any files. However, the older xdvi
works fine, as do the pdf viewer so working with LaTeX is still possible.
Fixed in 0.7.9.2 via medium-scale KDE upgrade after C++ transition.
- Unionfs broken for kernel 2.4
- Under kernel 2.4 with openMosix, only the first and much larger
compressed iso file is 'seen' and accessible. The second one, merged by means
of unionfs under kernel 2.6, is not available. This means that several
directories (/opt, /usr/games, /usr/lib/j2se, /usr/share/doc, /usr/src,
/usr/NX) are not available.
Fixed in 0.7.9.2 thanks to Marco Caliari!
- Knoppix buglets in linuxrc boot script
- According to two messages on debian-knoppix, in 4.0.2 usb2 support is not
activated at boot time, and there was also a ext2/ext3 issue [ though we
already have covered that with Marco's files ]. See this post at
knoppix.net for more.
Fixed in 0.7.9.2 thanks to Marco Caliari!
- Sound ?
- On my laptop, sound no longer works. Not sure what changed that. Is this
the same for others? Was in issue in 0.6.9.*, appears fixed now.
- Konsole font
- Running, say,
pstree in a
KDE konsole looks odd
as the tree of process cannot be displayed. This works in
xterm. Probably a fonts issue. Fixed in 0.6.9.1.
- Scientific Python does not pass all its tests
- Running 'import scipy' followed by 'scipy.test' shows a few tests that
are failing. Turns out that this was related to automatic loading of
the tuned Atlas libraries, and the Knoppix settings in /etc/ld.so.conf
conflicted with what Atlas requires. Fixed in 0.4.9.6.
- Autodiscovery issue in 0.4.9.2 / 0.4.9.3
- The following text comes from the announcement for 0.4.9.2.
o openMosix autodiscovery
In my tests last night, two machines were not 'seeing' each other
out of the box using autodiscovery. Following a hint at
I opted for a quick four-step correction:
1) edit /etc/hosts and a) remove the 'Knoppix' entry from the localhost
definition and b) add a new entry for the hostname Knoppix with the
actual (dhcp-provided) ip address, i.e. change the file to
2) edit /etc/default/openmosix.config and set/uncomment
to turn autodiscovery off
3) edit /etc/openmosix.map and define a simple three machine cluster
via an entry
4) finally force a restart of openMosix via (as root)
After doing that on all three machines, and starting 'openmosixview' as
root then shows all machines and a test migration of a few Monte Carlo
simulations worked without a glitch.
I'd would welcome suggestions from those more familar with openMosix
This was fixed in 0.4.9.4 and 0.4.9.5 by explicitly configuring the
- KDE kticker bar
- The Emacs icon we added in lieu of OpenOffice is not visible, a real one
would be nicer. Adding a few more key icons would ne nice too.
Done in 0.4.9.4. 0.4.9.5 also adds a custom openMosixview icon, thanks to
- r-cran-gtkdevice omitted
- R --gnome can't plot without it, package exists and will be added next
time. While we're add it, the r-cran-mcmc and r-cran-coda packages should go
in. Done in the 0.3.9.* series.
- Texmacs broken
- We were unlucky with the then current pick of texmacs from unstable, see
Debian bug report #194587 which is fixed in unstable.
Fixed in Quantian 0.3.